Monday, February 16, 2009

Cake Charmers

First off, I need to mention that I am probably one of the few college students addicted to the food network channel. Maybe it's my love for food, maybe it's my envy of people who can cook and cook well. Whatever the reason, it has become my default channel whenever I turn on the tube.

The reason I preface with that is because one of the shows I love most on that channel is Ace of Cakes, a show about amazing Charm City Cakes bakery in Baltimore that does some of the most out-there cake designs, from traditional wedding cakes to motorized snowboarding cakes. Here's a little sample of what they do:



So in watching this show, and with an upcoming wedding to plan, I was wondering if there was a bakery in Austin that does cakes like this, without a TV contract. But apparently, this whole wacky cake frenzy is a nation-wide phenomenon, so a few of my friends tell me. Bakeries will do whatever they can, for the right price.

Just from doing a little bit of research, Austin bakeries like Sansalone's Specialty Cakes and Fine Pastry and Lucy's Cakes, attempt to do what Charm City does, and get very close to what they do, but there's something about that Baltimore bakery. There is no denying these bakers have talent. I mean, whoever can reproduce Kermit the Frog this well and edible deserves some recognition.


From Sansalone's

Now, my biggest question is, how much do cakes like this cost? For big-time cakers like Charm City, all cakes are individually priced, but with a minimum of $1,000. Not to mention the extra charges of flying them down here to bake it for you. That takes some deep wallets.

The same goes with Austin bakeries like Lucy's and Sansalone's, most cakes like this are individually priced, but are undoubtedly costly. Lucy's cakes can range from $22 and up, while Sansalone's specialty cakes range from $30 and up. But, if you want to celebrate in style, an amazing cake is definitely the way to go!

Thanks to Christina at Sansalone's Specialty Cakes and Fine Pastry

No comments:

Post a Comment