Monday, April 6, 2009

The Resonator

I wanted to show you all something really neat that I saw at SXSW's guitar showcase that I had never seen before: the resonator guitar.


These guitars are really unique as they provide a different sound because of their metal resonator soundboard. Typically they are acoustic but can be electric, and are known to have interesting designs that add a mystery to the genres they are used for most: blues and bluegrass.

Most of what I know about them has come from Wikipedia, so if you are interested I would suggest checking out their page on it here.

For being so interesting looking, it's pretty hard to find them in Austin, but there is one place that has them called Quincy's Guitars. It's located on Congress Ave, and he calls them Reso-Phonic guitars.

I also found that Quincy's sells a reso-phonic mandolin - my favorite instrument of all time. I just had to show you a picture of it:


I found a video all about Resonators - the history and how to go about finding one or even making one. Here it is:



Now to listen to how one sounds. I think you will agree that this guitar has a very distinct sound, and I have to say that I like it! Happy listening!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maggi! I must say it's nice to meet another Austin creative such as yourself. I also have a love for graphic design. I have my degree in it and eventually want to put it to use with owning my own business. So maybe you and I can network together :-) Hope to talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete